The museum was established on 1991 in the house of Marija and Jurgis Šlapeliai which they bought in 1926. This house is an architectural monument of 17th century. A museum display was opened here in 1994.
Displays on the daily life and activities of Marija and Jurgis Šlapeliai reflect the life of the Vilnius region from the second part of the 19th century to 1940. Here it is shown how with the lifting of the ban, book publishers became active and Lithuanian printing houses and book stores were opened, as well as active work of book publishers. The exposition reflects the establishment of new societies, the development of education and the press as well as other cultural events that fostered and led to political change which resulted in Lithuania’s independence. More information is available at www.muziejai.lt
Guided tours are available upon prior arrangement.