The Church of St Ignatius was built between 1622 and 1647. Like other Jesuit churches in Lithuania, it was basilican, with a dome and two towers on both sides of the presbyter. As with most of the city’s churches, it suffered in the mid-18th century fires and was reconstructed under architect Tomas Žebrauskas.
In Tsarist times the church was converted into a club of officers and was badly damaged.
In 1925 it was returned to the Catholics and adapted for religious purposes. In the times of Soviet occupation it served as a warehouse of the Cinema Studio.
The Church has a smart main façade of the early Baroque.