Vingis Park is situated on a bend of the Neris River and covers an area of 160 hectares. In the 15th–16th century, it belonged to the Radvila (Radziwill) family, and later it belonged to Bishop Ignas Masalskis. Even later it was owned by Vilnius Governor General Leontij Beningsen, who built an elaborate summer house in the pine forest. In 1919, after the re-establishment of Vilnius University, a botanical garden was located on the grounds of the former manor of Vingis Park. In the 20th century, the garden was severely damaged by both a flood and by war. The major part of the recreated garden was moved elsewhere.
The park has two entrances: one from M. K. Čiurlionio Street, and the other from Birutės Street. Near the park entrance from M. K. Čiurlionis Street there is a Classical chapel and a cemetery for German soldiers. Vingis Park is popular with the residents of Vilnius as a place for walking, cycling or roller-skating. Various concerts and events are held on the stage erected in the centre of the park. In 1988, Sąjūdis meetings were held in the stadium next to the stage, and in 1993 Pope John Paul II celebrated a Mass there.