In Užupis, between Polockas and Žvirgždynai streets and the Vilnia, the Bernadine cemetery is situated. It covers an area of 3.87 ha. This cemetery was established in 1810 and was administrated by the Bernardine monastery.
Two columbaria were built in the cemetery. Coffins were placed into their niches and were bricked in. A chapel was built in 1827, and a crypt with catacombs was installed in its basement. In 19th century this place was a favourite place for Vilnius residents to go for walk, as the cemetery reminded of a park.
Famous people of the country were buried in this cemetery: S.B.Jundzilas, V.Kairiūkštis, V.Slendzinskis, B.M.Ruseckas, K.Ruseckas, E.Kotlubajus, L.Borovskis, H.J.Abramovičius, M.Pšibilskis, A.Tiškevičius, V.Zahorskis, etc.