Sister Maria Faustina Kowalska, who was canonized by Pope St. John Paul II in 2000, lived in Vilnius in the convent house of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy from 1933 to 1936. During that time, she experienced several mystical visions of Jesus. It was according to these visions that the Vilnian artist Eugene Kazimierowski, under the constant observation of Sister Faustina, painted the now-famous image of Merciful Jesus. In Vilnius, she also met Fr. Michael Sopoćko, a confessor well-known among the sisters. He encouraged her to start the mission which was entrusted to her: to proclaim the Lord’s Mercy.
The prayers comprising the Chaplet of Divine Mercy were spoken by Jesus to Sister Faustina in her visions in Vilnius as well. This happened on 13-14 September 1935 in the wooden house of the convent of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy.
The convent house itself has survived to the present day almost by miracle. It was badly damaged and fell into ruin in the period after the Second World War because later owners didn’t really care or know about the historical significance of the building. But the number of people was growing who heard the message of mercy and knew where Sister Faustina had lived. In 2008, the house was restored, the cell of Sister Faustina was reconstructed, and space was made for people to pray and reflect in this holy place.